Ok, I am not even going to pretend I made some uber-fancy recipe. It was actually just boxed cake mix and canned frosting, but the work you have to go through to get the bite sized treats…counts as a recipe. I am also not going to pretend that I came up with this idea. All of the credit goes to the one and only Bakerella, have you been to her site? Don’t go until you finish reading this post, or I won’t get you back-seriously, her site is fabulicious! Back to the recipe…
- 1 box of your favorite brand of Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 can of your favorite brand of Cream Cheese Frosting (eyeball it, I don’t use all of it)
- 1 package of Chocolate Candy Coating
*Again, I know this is not homemade…but wait until you see all the steps. There is no time for “made from scratch” when you’re doing Cake Balls.
1. Bake the cake in a 9×13 pan as per the directions.
2. Mix the completely cool cake (yep, crumble it all up) with the can of frosting (I used my hands for this part).
3. Using a spoon, divide into silver dollar size balls (are those still around?) and drop on parchment paper.
4. Once all the cake/frosting mixture is all divided onto the parchment paper, go back and roll each one into pretty balls with your hands.
5. Chill the cake balls in the fridge or freezer.
6. Once firm, you can roll them in chocolate bark, almond bark, or candy coating. Whatever goes best with the theme you’re going with…get creative!
I first made Cake Balls for my daughter’s “ball” themed birthday, only I used Red Velvet cake. They received RAVE reviews and it was fun to have an alternative to the typical “birthday cake”. Plus, since you don’t have to use a fork to eat them the calories don’t count, right? That’s what I thought.
So, what do you think? Have you tried Cake Balls yet?
We welcome recipe ideas from our readers. Contact us and tell us about your recipe!
*Please note, none of the views expressed in this post are those of Bakerella herself, although she was an huge inspiration, and we are happy to share her site. It’s like eye candy for the Sweet Tooth obsessed!