Infusing banana bread with potassium has a double benefit for you-you get to eat a sweet delight that is good for you at the same time.
However, since sugary delights and healthy don’t go together, our first job is to make the banana bread base healthier by changing some of the basic ingredients. Once you do that all you need to do is find out which ingredients are packed with minerals and search for healthy and easy banana bread recipes that suggest how to incorporate them.
Almost all banana bread recipes already contain two potassium-infused ingredients which gives you a good start:
- Bananas are one of the top 10 potassium-rich foods. One large banana contains 422 mg potassium, which equals 12% of the daily value.
- Yogurt and kefir are also rich in potassium and can be added to the batter (1/2 cup) for extra softness and moisture. They will bring extra calcium and vitamin D as well.
Changes in the Banana Bread Base
To prepare a healthy banana loaf you need to change the recipe base first. Just follow these easy steps to transform your banana bread into a healthy snack:
– Replace regular flour with whole wheat, oatmeal, coconut flour, almond flour or soy flour;
– Replace regular refined sugar with honey, pure maple syrup, molasses, agave syrup or stevia;
– Use unsweetened applesauce or coconut oil instead of butter;
– You can even ditch the eggs if you wish and use flax or chia eggs.
Potassium-Rich Banana Bread
Potassium is important for maintaining fluid and electrolyte balance in the body. It is also needed for normal function of the heart, kidneys, brain and muscles.
Potassium deficiency symptoms are: weight gain, cellulite, dehydration, fatigue, headaches, heart problems, increased blood pressure, muscle cramps, and swelling of glands and tissues.
A diet low in fruits and vegetables can be one of the main reasons for potassium deficiency.
Here are some suggestions on how to use potassium-rich ingredients into your banana loaf.
Avocado Banana Bread
Avocado is the no.1 potassium-rich food. I love the creaminess avocado contributes to the banana loaf. One cup mashed avocado (or two medium ones) will suffice. I like mixing it with a cup of raspberries for freshness or a cup of chocolate chips for ultimate deliciousness.
Sweet Potato Banana Bread
Treat sweet potato like pumpkin in banana loaf. Meaning that, like pumpkin, sweet potato pairs beautifully with allspice, vanilla and nuts. One cup of mashed potato will suffice. You can also prepare cream cheese frosting to top.
Dried Apricots Banana Bread
The recipe I found calls for ½ cup dried apricots and ½ cup sultanas. I also like pairing apricots with rum or, even better, bourbon. Add ¼ bourbon directly into the batter or soak the apricots in bourbon for about 30 minutes before adding them. The alcohol will evaporate almost completely during cooking, so your kids can eat this quick-bread as well.
Other foods that make the top 10 list of potassium-rich foods are spinach, white beans and mushrooms, so make sure you incorporate them in your savory dishes.