I present to you a plate of chocolate heaven from Flex Mussels’ Executive Pastry Chef Zac Young. A contestant on Bravo’s Top Chef Just Desserts, this guy knows what he’s doing.
This recipe will make you wanna slap your mama, it’s so good. Though I don’t recommend you do that, unless you have a plate of this semifreddo to give her after she pummels you.
Flex Mussels Chocolate Semifreddo
To make the chocolate semifreddo
2 oz. 100 percent Baker’s chocolate
1½ oz. good-quality dark chocolate (such as Valrhona 61 percent extra bitter)
1½ c. heavy cream
6 egg yolks
1 c. sugar
¼ c. water
Dark chocolate for decoration
1. Prepare molds: Melt chocolate for decoration and drizzle on the bottom and sides of eight 4-oz. disposable baking tins, making a spider web-like pattern.
2. Melt remaining chocolate; let cool.
3. Whip cream to soft peaks. In a separate bowl, whip yolks on medium-high speed, while you heat the sugar and water to 240°.
4. With the mixer running, add the sugar syrup to the whipped yolks. Beat until cool.
5. Fold in chocolate, and then fold in cream. Pour into tins and freeze overnight.
To make the brownie
2 sticks butter
4 oz. 100 percent chocolate
14 oz. 61 percent chocolate
2½ c. sugar
1½ tsp. vanilla extract
1½ c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1½ tsp. kosher salt
1. Melt chocolates and butter.
2. Whisk sugar and eggs. Add vanilla, and then add the chocolate.
3. Fold in dry ingredients. Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 325° for about 25 minutes.
To make the whipped white chocolate
2 oz. good-quality white chocolate (like Valrhona)
1½ c. heavy cream
Pinch of salt
1. Bring cream to a boil. Partially melt the white chocolate in a heat-proof glass bowl.
2. Whisk in cream slowly, keeping the product well emulsified. Chill overnight. The next day, whip to form soft peaks and refrigerate until chilled.
3. Unmold semifreddo onto parchment-lined sheets and return to the freezer.
4. Cut brownies while still warm so that they are the shape and size of the molds. Place brownies on plates.
5. Top with semifreddo and serve with white chocolate whipped cream.
Like what you see? Show them some sugar…