Light and fluffy muffins are a big treat when one visits the bakery. Those high tops and luscious fillings just ooze sweetness and indulgence. If you think it’s difficult to get those kinds of muffin results at home, you are wrong. It is really quite easy to make homemade muffins with high, sugary tops that call your name every time you step into your favorite sweet shop. Learning just a few tricks will ensure you have tasty, moist muffins every single time you cook them at home. Next time you want a decadent baked goodie at home, try these chocolate chip muffins – the recipe you’ve been missing.
Tricks of the Trade
There are just a few tricks of the trade to remember when baking muffins. First of all, never mix muffin batter with an electric mixer. The best way to mix muffin batter is with a wooden spoon or plastic spatula. Muffin batter will be thick, and you want to make sure all the ingredients are wet and incorporated without beating. Somewhere around twenty strokes should be enough to blend the ingredients.
The second trick is to start off with a high heat for the first five to seven minutes of baking time. This allows the top of the muffin to get a high rise that gives your muffin that bakery look. In addition, make sure the eggs and milk you use in baking are at room temperature. Lastly, sprinkle some coarse sugar on top prior to baking for a crystalized look.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup oil (vegetable, canola, or coconut)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup chocolate chips or chunks (semi-sweet, dark, white, or milk chocolate)
- Coarse sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Lightly beat the eggs and then whisk in the milk, oil and vanilla.
- Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using a few strokes as possible.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Prepare a six muffin jumbo tin by lining with muffin liners or spraying with non-stick spray.
- Fill each section of the muffin tin to the very top. This allows them to rise and have the big tops.
- Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar.
- Place the muffin pan in the oven at 425 degrees for five minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 25 minutes.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the side slightly angled.
- Cool for ten minutes.
You can also bake these scrumptious muffins in regular or mini muffin tins. Reduce the baking time to 17 minutes at 375 degrees for regular size muffins and 12 minutes for mini muffins. These chocolate chip muffins – the recipe you’ve been missing will be a favorite treat once you taste them.