Here’s a recipe that is sure to appeal to all 5 senses! It’s yummy to eat, pretty to look at, smells delicious, a great dessert to get your hands on and the squeals of your kids when they see the final product is reason enough to make these little bars of sunshine! It’s the perfect summertime treat to get the kids in the kitchen to get a little messy and have fun in the process. I made this with my nieces and nephew and they had a ball helping out. There is enough steps in the recipe to designate each kid to a task or two (although I think they would all agree that their favorite part was making the sugar rainbow at the end!). What kid out there wouldn’t like a dessert that looks like a rainbow and is doused in sugar!? Parents be warned- might cause sugar high!
Rainbow Glitter Bars Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 sticks butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- red, orange, yellow, green, blue & purple food coloring AND sanding sugar
- 1 can store bought vanilla frosting
Note: If you don’t want to go out and buy all 6 different colors of
sugar, you can make your own colored sugar using a cup of granulated sugar and a few drops of food coloring. Stir until all the sugar is colored.
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 8×8 pan .
- Separate egg yolk and white. Discard of egg white.
- In a large bowl add egg yolk, sugar, and butter. Stir with wooden spoon.
- Add flour and cinnamon to sugar mixture. Stir until combined. (I didn’t have cinnamon this time around so I substituted with pumpkin pie spice. It worked just as good 🙂
- Divide dough into 6 equal parts. Add a few drops of food coloring to each ball of dough, 1 color per ball. Use a spoon (or your hands work great!) to mix until the balls of dough are fully colored.
- Press each ball of dough into the bottom of the 8×8 pan. Form each ball of dough into strips and press into the bottom of the 8×8 pan. It should look like a rainbow in the pan once all of the balls are pressed into the pan.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the bars are lightly browned.
- Once cool spread a thin layer of the vanilla frosting on top of the bars. Sprinkle the colorful sugar over bar. Create a rainbow design with as much or as little of the sugars are you want – we were quite generous with sugar when we made these. Cut into squares and enjoy!
See more Loco Kids recipes and treats!
Meet our SWEET writers :: Amy