A simple and sweet twist on a traditional gluten free cake!
The dummy’s guide to a gluten free cake with pizzaz 😉
Cherry and Pecan Gluten Free Cake
The term “gluten free” tends to bring several images to mind.
One of which being cardboard.
It doesn’t have to be like this my friends.
So here is a recipe to add a little sparkle back into the diet of those having (or choosing) to restrict gluten. This cake (with homemade frosting) is the perfect twist on an easy recipe.
You will need:
- Betty Crocker’s gluten free cake mix.
- ⅔ cup of water.
- 1 cup of softened butter.
- 3-½ Teaspoons gluten free vanilla
- 3 eggs
- A handful of pecans
- Half a bottle of drained maraschino cherries
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 5 tablespoons of milk.
- A super sassy apron. It tends to give the cake (and you) a little extra flavor.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat cake mix, water, butter, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl on low speed for 30 seconds, then on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into pan.
- Fold the pecans and cherries in the mix with your (super clean) hands. The key is to do this very lightly.
- For a regular 8”x8” pan bake around 36-41 minutes. To check if the cake is ready, stick a toothpick in. If the cake doesn’t stick to the toothpick, it’s ready to come out of that oven. (Refer to the back of the box for specific baking times.)
While your lovely creation is forming, it’s time to basque in your moment of baking glory (perhaps with a selfie in the aforementioned apron).
Gather yourself, and quickly begin making your homemade frosting.
It sounds daunting, but I assure you it’s most assuredly not.
Awesome? Yes. Difficult? No.
- In a large bowl add in a ½ cup of softened butter. Keyword: softened. As in, put that bad boy in the microwave. Beat until creamy.
- Add in the confectioners sugar, 1-½ teaspoons of vanilla, and milk (optional: use soy milk) and beat.
- Feel free to add more milk if you want the frosting to be less dense. If you add too much don’t fret, just add in more sugar.
- Taste test. Often. You are welcome.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let it fully cool.
- Frost the cake.
- Add sprinkles and/or pecans and cherries.
- Enjoy you little baking ninja you.