Anna, a delicious foodie blogger from EcoSalon.com shares her go-to Olive Oil and Polenta Cake recipe with us. Upon first glance I didn’t believe this cake would hit the sweet spot on your taste buds. After much investigation and pondering about how the lemon and cornmeal would meld, I declare it would be a mighty fine treat for your tongue.
Olive Oil and Polenta Cake
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup almond meal or finely ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter (1.5 sticks)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Juice and zest of one Meyer lemon
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- Beat eggs in a bowl and add sugar.
- In another bowl combine dry ingredients.
- In a saucepan melt butter. Add to egg and sugar batter and add in dry ingredients. Mix in rest of ingredients.
- Pour batter into a greased 9.5 inch pan and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350F, or until golden brown.
- Let cool and dust with powdered sugar if you’re feeling super fancy.
Note: because this cake is dense, it tastes better after it has sat for awhile, so let cool completely, and maybe even stash it away for the next day. Nothing is better than this cake for breakfast.
Like what you see? Show her some sugar…