Even though Valentine’s Day is over, people are still getting snowed in all over the place, so these recipes are great excuses for families who are stuck inside. Not to mention, it’s National Bake for Family Fun month!
Start with a boxed cake mix to easily make these popular cupcakes.
- Makes 24 cupcakes
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time18 min
- 1 box (16.5 oz.) yellow cake mix
- Water as specified on cake mix box
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup Country Crock® Spread, divided
- 1 Tbsp. red food coloring
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 box (16 oz.) confectioners sugar (about 3-1/2 cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 muffin cups with paper cupcake liners; set aside.
- Beat cake mix, water, cocoa powder, eggs, 1/2 cup Country Crock® Spread and food coloring in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Evenly spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans and cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese, remaining 1/2 cup Spread and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Beat in confectioners sugar on low speed until blended. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Spread on cooled cupcakes.
Rely on this simple sugar cookie recipe for chewy and delicious cookies every time.
- Makes 2 dozen
- Prep Time 25 min
- Cook Time 14 min
- 1 cup Country Crock® Spread
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Beat Country Crock® Spread with sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla scraping sides occasionally, until blended. Beat in flour, baking powder and salt just until blended. (Do not overbeat).
- Using lightly floured hands shape dough by 2 tablespoonfuls into balls. Arrange 3-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Gently press balls into 2-1/2-inch circles. Pinch bottom to form point of “heart”. Gently indent dough in center on top to shape into “heart”.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes until edges are lightly golden. Cool 2 minutes on wire rack; remove from sheets and cool completely. Decorate as desired*
*To decorate, stir 4 teaspoons warm water into 1 cup confectioners sugar until smooth. Tint with food color, if desired. Spread on cookies and sprinkle with colored sprinkles.
Cost per recipe*: $2.70
Cost per serving*: $.11
*Based on average retail prices at national supermarkets.
- Recipe Serves: 12
- Prep Time 20 min
- Cook Time 35 min
- Chill Time 15 min
- 3/4 cup Country Crock® Spread
- 6 squares (1 oz. ea.) bittersweet chocolate or 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 Tbsp. Country Crock® Spread
- 10 squares (1 oz. ea.) bittersweet chocolate or 1-2/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, coarsely chopped
- For CAKE, preheat oven to 350°. Grease 9-inch round cake pan, then line with parchment or waxed paper; set aside.
- Melt 3/4 cup Country Crock® Spread with chocolate in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally; set aside to cool slightly. Beat egg whites with salt in medium bowl with electric mixer until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer until light and ribbony, about 2 minutes. While beating, slowly add chocolate mixture until blended. Beat in flour. Fold in egg white mixture with spatula just until blended. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 minutes. (Note: Toothpick inserted in center will come out with moist crumbs.) Run knife around rim of cake to loosen cake from sides of pan; cool 15 minutes on wire rack. Remove cake from pan and cool completely.
- For GLAZE, melt 5 Tbsp. Country Crock® Spread with chocolate in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Spread warm glaze over cake.