Guess what? February is National Bake for Family Fun Month! (Who knew, right?!) With snowy days keeping most indoors, here are five simple recipes from Country Crock ― perfect for all celebrations ― that families can bake together!
- Recipe Serves: 8
- Prep Time 25 min
- Cook Time 20 min
- Stand Time 2 hr 45 min
- 1 envelope dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup water (about 125°)
- 2/3 cup Country Crock® Spread, divided
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 whole eggs, divided
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup PLUS 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- Dried fruit and candied cherries for decoration
- Combine yeast with warm water in medium bowl and set aside until foamy, about 5 minutes. Whisk in 1/3 cup Country Crock® Spread, milk and 2 whole eggs; set aside.
- Combine 3 cups flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and salt in large bowl. Stir orange peel into yeast mixture then stir into flour mixture until dough forms.
- Knead on floured surface until dough is smooth, but slightly sticky, about 10 minutes. Transfer dough to large lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining 1/3 cup Spread with confectioners sugar in medium bowl until creamy. Stir in remaining 1 cup flour and egg yolk until smooth. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Knead dough on floured surface a few times. Roll dough into log, then form large circle on greased baking sheet. Brush ends with water to seal. Cover with plastic wrap sprayed with no-stick cooking spray and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Arrange rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat remaining whole egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush dough with egg wash. Form strips with chilled confectioners sugar dough and arrange along with dried fruit and candied cherries into dough to decorate, then sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Bake 35 minutes or until bread is golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
Tip: It is customary to hide a plastic baby doll in the dough before baking. The baby symbolizes luck and prosperity to whoever finds it in his or her slice. Just remember to tell your guests that there is a toy inside the bread!
- Makes 4 dozen
- Prep Time 45 min
- Cook Time 40 min
- Freeze Time 2 hr
- Stand Time 15 min
- 1 box (16 oz.) pound cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup Country Crock® Simply Delicious
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup Country Crock® Simply Delicious
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Lollipop sticks
- CHOCOLATE COATING:
- 2 packages (12 oz. ea.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- Rainbow colored sprinkles
- For CAKE, prepare pound cake mix according to package directions using eggs, water and Country Crock® Simply Delicious. Cool cake then cut into chunks.
- For FROSTING, beat sugar, Country Crock® Simply Delicious and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add cake and beat until blended.
- Shape cake mixture into 48 balls and arrange on foil or waxed paper lined baking sheet. Insert lollipop stick into each ball. Freeze 2 hours.
- For CHOCOLATE COATING, melt chocolate chips according to package directions. Stir in oil until blended. Dip balls into chocolate mixture, swirling to coat and gently shaking to remove excess chocolate. Quickly decorate with sprinkles. Arrange on foil or waxed paper lined baking sheet and let stand until chocolate is set, about 15 minutes.