Waffles are a special breakfast/brunch treat. To spice them up for Valentine’s Day, make them Red Velvet and into an ice cream sandwich!
This recipe, provided by Del Frisco’s Grille, hits all the right notes, and with the red velvet, it certainly feels perfect to make for your Valentine.
Yield: 5-7 Waffles
Red Velvet Batter
3 cups Belgium Waffle Mix, (Krusteaz)
1 ½ cup Water, Cold
2 Eggs, Large
1/3 cup Oil, Vegetable
1 tsp Red Food Coloring
2 tbsp Cocoa Powder, Dark
as needed Pan Spray
- Take a stainless steel bowl add the eggs and beat lightly then add the water, cocoa and food coloring.
- Whisk to combine then slowly add the waffle mix to the bowl while stirring.
- Work out lumps in in the batter till smooth and let batter sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the waffle iron and spray lightly with non-stick spray.
- Ladle batter into hot iron’s surface and cook waffle for 3-4 minutes or according to waffle iron cooking time.
- Once waffle is cooked remove from the iron onto a cutting board and cut into 4 equal wedges.
- Arrange the wedges on a platter and lean the pieces off of each other.
- Drizzle some raspberry sauce or strawberry sauce over waffles and arrange some raspberries or sliced strawberries on the waffles.
- Dust waffles with cocoa and powdered sugar on and around the waffles and serve with warm maple syrup.
To Assemble Ice Cream Sandwiches:
Spread good quality, vanilla bean ice cream between two waffles. Serve with warm chocolate sauce for dipping!