With Valentine’s Day comes beautiful red roses, dimly lit candles, romantic dinners & red wine, but how about breakfast in bed? Since Valentine’s Day is on a Saturday this year, a lazy morning followed by breakfast in bed is the perfect way to kick off the most romantic day of the year and surprise that special someone. If you need some breakfast in bed inspiration, look no further than Bauli, the leading creator of authentic Italian confectionary treats. And, here’s a fun fact for you – Bauli is rooted in Verona, Italy, which is where the romantic tale of Romeo and Juliet took place!
Bauli’s delectable recipe for Panettone French Toast is an impressive brunch option, filled with mascarpone cheese, and topped with maple syrup and fresh berries. Truly the definition of a romantic treat. Enjoy!
- Bauli Il Panettone di Milano All Natural
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 200ºF. Trim the bottom crust from the Panettone. Starting at the bottom of the loaf, cut it crosswise into 6 (3/4-inch thick) round slices. (Reserve the top piece for buttered toast!) In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the cream, milk and sugar, and whisk until well blended.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter on a nonstick griddle over medium heat. Dip the Panettone into the egg mixture, turning to allow both sides to absorb it. Grill the soaked Panettone slices until golden brown and firm to the touch, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining butter, Panettone slices and egg mixture.
- Transfer the French toast to plates. Top each with a dollop of mascarpone, and sprinkle with powdered sugar and cinnamon. Add berries, drizzle with maple syrup, and serve immediately.