Butterscotch is undoubtedly one of the most popular treats in North America and one you can’t get away from during holidays. If like most other people you are a fan of this wonderful treat, then we’ve got three treats you won’t want to miss out on. Before we get started there are a few fun facts about butterscotch that we’d like to share with you:
- Butterscotch is lower in fats and sugars than most other types of sweets
- National Butterscotch Pudding Day falls on September 19th
- The largest butterscotch candy ever created weighed 3500 lbs
Now that we have the fun facts out of the way, let’s proceed to discuss three different amazing butterscotch treats that you can use to make any event, birthday or holiday, an absolute success.
Gooey Butterscotch Bars
1 package (17-1/2 oz.) sugar cookie mix
1 package (3.4 oz) instant butterscotch pudding mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
1 package (14 oz) caramels
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 cups mixed nuts
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup butterscotch chips
- Using a large bowl mix together sugar cookie mix, pudding mix, butter and egg. Once thoroughly mixed, press the mixture into an ungreased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes until the “crust” is set.
- While the crust is baking, combine caramels and milk in a large saucepan. Melt down the caramels into the milk over medium-low heat, stir often.
- Remove from the heat once melted.
- Stir in vanilla and nuts.
- Pour the mixture over the cooked crust and top with butterscotch morsels.
- Cool completely, cut into bar sizes, and store.
2 cups fat-free milk
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 cup packed of sugar (dark brown)
2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in milk and egg yolks. Cook and stir constantly until the mixture comes to a boil, then cook an additional one to two minutes or until the mix as thickened.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in the vanilla and butter.
- Cool to room temperature stirring several times throughout the cooling process.
- Pour into a bowl or individual dishes, cover and chill one to two hours.
Butterscotch and Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup peanut butter
1, 12 oz. package of butterscotch morsels
- Using the microwave and thirty second increments, melt morsels and peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl, stirring after each session.
- Once melted the mixture should be creamy; do not panic if there are a few lumps left those will melt down shortly.
- Add Rice Krispies into a large bowl and mix in the melted mixture, using a large spoon and a folding motion to combine everything until the Rice Krispies are coated.
- Pour everything in the large bowl into a pan and press down until even.
- Set pan aside for at least an hour so the mixture can set up. Cut into squares and enjoy.