Nothing hits the spot when you need a good rush of carbohydrates in your system better than sweet bread. From Cinnamon rolls to pastry, the call of a good bread dessert can make even the crankiest of hungry people drool with delight. Here are two bread recipes that will give you a much needed sugar rush. Now these may not be all that good for you, but they sure are good to eat! One is full of fruit for a natural sweetness and the other is a full on sugar fest!
Banana Blueberry Bread
- 2 large very ripe bananas (they can even be brown)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries (thaw if frozen)
- 1 ½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 stick of melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or banana flavoring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash the bananas well and set aside with the blueberries.
- Place the remaining ingredients into a large bowl and mix by hand.
- Fold in the fruit with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Prepare a 9” x 5” loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for about an hour. Remove from pan and slice.
- Drizzle with honey and serve.
Quick and Easy Monkey Bread
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- Four cans refrigerated biscuits (any brand)
- 1 stick plus two tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a Bundt pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine white sugar and cinnamon in a gallon size storage bag.
- Open the cans of biscuits and separate the dough. Cut each biscuit into four pieces.
- Add the pieces to the sugar mixture and shake until all the pieces are well coated (tip: add a handful of dough pieces at a time until they are all added).
- Remove the dough and arrange evenly in the Bundt pan.
- Heat the brown sugar, butter and vanilla on medium to high heat, and boil for one minute. While continually stirring the mixture, slowly pour it over the biscuit dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Cool for at least five minutes.
- Turn the pan upside down on a plate and remove pan.
These easy to make sweet bread recipes are a breeze to make. Simple ingredients and simple directions make these sugary treats easy enough to enjoy on a regular basis. Your family will enjoy the warm gooeyness of monkey bread or the richness of banana blueberry bread. For an even tastier treat that will make the kids happy, and probably mom and dad too, substitute a ½ cup of chocolate chips in place of the blueberries for banana chocolate bread. Enjoy these two breads that will give you a much needed sugar rush today!