I’ve come to find that I am a secret lover of Rice Pudding. When I hear it, I must be honest, I’m a little turned off by the name but then I dive on in and Mmm Mmm Mmm I’m in heaven! Today, Danielle Rollins, author of the best seller, “Soiree – Entertaining with Style” shares with us her recipe for a Vanilla Rice Pudding with Candied Fruit and Apricot Compote. You can clean up that drool on your keyboard now.
VANILLA RICE PUDDING WITH CANDIED FRUIT AND APRICOT COMPOTE (page 125 of Soiree – Entertaining with Style)
¾ cup basmati rice
¼ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
½ cup sugar
½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
4 to 6 tablespoons chopped candied fruit such as ginger or apricots (optional)
Apricot Compote (see recipe below)
- Bring 1½ cups water, rice, and salt to a simmer in a heavy, large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Add milk, cream, and sugar. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean, and add the bean. Increase heat to medium and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and the mixture thickens slightly to a soft, creamy texture, about 35 minutes. The pudding might seem runny at first, but it will thicken up later.
- Remove pudding from heat and discard vanilla bean. Stir in candied fruit, if desired.
- To serve, divide pudding evenly among 8 small bowls. Serve warm with Apricot Compote and fresh apricots or press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of each pudding and chill thoroughly. Note: Pudding can be made 2 days ahead of serving. Keep refrigerated.
¾ cup sugar
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
3 pounds fresh apricots, peeled, halved, and pitted (about 12 apricots)
- Combine sugar and ½ cup water in a large pot over medium heat; stir and cook until sugar dissolves. Add lemon juice and apricots; stir and simmer until fruit is soft, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Chill until ready to serve.
Like what you see? Show them some sugar… Website
Meet our SWEET Writers :: Jaclyn